12.6.10

The Pursuit of Zebah and Zalmunna

Even with the men exhausted from the past few days we were in pursuit of Zebah and Zalmunna.  We came to the Jordan River and crossed over.  We came to the city of Succoth and I said to them, “Give my troops some bread, they are worn out, and I am still pursuing Zebah and Zalmunna the kings of Midian.”  I thought there is no way they would turn away these half starved men who have showed heroism and perseverance in this time of war.  The officials, however, said, “Do you already have the hands of Zebah and Zalmunna in your possession?  Why should we give bread to your troops?”  I replied to them, “Just for that when the Lord has given Zebah and Zalmunna into my hand, I will tear your flesh with desert thorns and briers.”   I couldn’t believe it.  This little city was sitting on the fence.  They weren’t completely loyal to the Midinaites and weren’t completely loyal to Israel.  I’m not going to let this unpredictability of men discourage me.  I choose to rely in the remarkable reliability of God to sustain and empower me.   Just to imply that we had already had them in our possession and we would come to them asking for food and lying to them is an absurd assumption.  From there we went on to the city of Peniel and we received the exact same response s the men of Succoth.  So I responded to them much like I said the men of Succoth, “When I return in triumph, I will tear down this tower.”  I couldn’t believe the disrespect and that these two cities showed to the men that have defeated the Midianites.  The people that were keeping God’s chosen people under oppression and this army of hero’s was given no help by the people that were set free.  We were only met with contempt and disrespect.  God will repay them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment