15.5.10

A Strange Visitor

     The Midianites have been terrorizing people all over the land of Israel.   I needed to do some threshing but whenever anyone has tried to do that the Midinaites see them and they come and take what they have gathered and sometimes execute them.  So I got an idea to thresh in a winepress.  I knew it may take a much longer time than if I did it on a proper threshing floor but I couldn’t risk being seen by the Midianites.  While I was there threshing I had a visitor approach me and he knew my name and he said to me, “The Lord is with you mighty warrior.”  I was a bit confused by his word so I replied, “But sir, if the Lord is with us why, has all this happened to us?  Where are his wonders our fathers told us about when they said, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up out of Egypt?’  But now the Lord has abandoned us and put us in the hand on Midian.”  He turned to me and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand.  Am I not sending you?”  It was clear this man was a Divine leader and he was clearly giving me a message from our God, so I said to him, “Lord how can I save Israel?  My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”  The Lord answered, “I will be with you and you will strike down all the Midianites together.”  Then I said, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me.  Please do not away until I come back and bring my offering and set it before you.”  And he said to me, “I will wait until you return.”  So I am now preparing this goat and the flour for this sacrifice.        

No comments:

Post a Comment